Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The Ride of a Life Time






Trying out the hammock...has a few kinks

Easter afternoon enjoying the beautiful day

Counting up the eggs just in case one was missed!
Our 38th anniversary came and went with little fanfare.  Kim had meetings on the 17th so we waited until the next day to celebrate.  We were going to hike Ding and Dang...just to see if we still could but with my mother's accident, it accelerated our backyard work.  We spent the day shopping for things, eating at Cafe Rio and bowling at BYU.  It was the first time we bowled by ourselves.  No friends.  No kids.  No grandkids.  We still had fun! Must mean we were meant to be.  They have been good years and we reflected all that day on how glad we are that we had each other. 
Easter was different this year.  We went up to Layton and spent the afternoon with Brooke's family.  We hid ( I use that term loosely) eggs for the kiddies and spent time at the park.  It was fun to see all the families out barbecuing and spending the day together.   We got my mother at my sister's on the way home.  We turned my sewing / craft room into a bedroom and put her upstairs close to everything.  Every day an adventure as she continues the process of healing and learning to walk again.
  We went with Kim's department to Salt Lake and did all things Family History like index names at the Family History Center.
My favorite part was the flowers.  I could not get enough time to look at the beauty that was everywhere!!!

Saturday was Willie's wedding.  Donna said they got into the car to drive to the Draper temple and  it would not start.  They had to take the truck.  The only other time that happened was the day of Bryce's accident.  I was already pretty emotional so that began the day for me.  The reception was beautiful and we were so grateful for good weather.
His wedding reminded me how much life is like a roller coaster ride.   We each have the ride that is suited just for us and is as different as each of our personalities.  Sometimes we can see what is ahead and prepare for it and other times, it is a complete surprise but there is no way to get off the ride and we just have to hold on for dear life.  There are moments where wonderful vistas open to view and we can breath easy.  Then there are times when our stomach goes up to our throats and to our surprise we are just screaming. 
That is how I felt when Willie got married.  I knew it was coming but I still wasn't prepared for the emotions I felt. 
I have pondered why this event has touched me so deeply.  I have gone to many receptions and baby showers because of Bryce's friends.  It has been bittersweet but doable.  I openly sobbed when Bryce's friends gathered as we have so often done with them before to take pictures.  It was like the door really closed this time.  Bryce was no longer Willie's best friend.  Bryce was stuck at 21 and not moving on. 
I am grateful for each and every twist and turn in my ride.  I would not change a thing.  I am glad that I can move on and I just have to say that being a wife and mom is the best thing I ever did...bring on those loops!

No comments: