Sunday, March 30, 2014

Raspberries, check. Onions, check. ....





Spring is definitely trying hard to get to Utah.  My daffodils are so brave.  The heat vacillates to cold without notice.  It has been hard to get out there when the weather is good since life keeps throwing curves.  It has been hard to watch my mom as she continues to be tutored in enduring to the end.  I don't ever want to go there but have no false hopes of smooth sailing.  The drive to Salt Lake is still at the bottom of my favorite things list but I am grateful that I can spend that time with my mom and am constantly reminded of the value of good health!

Last week we stained the concrete and this week we got the pergola up!  It looks a little bare but we will get the picnic table down and put the grill back on the patio, etc.  With some potted plants, a hammock and some other "stuff", hopefully it will look good. 
The bees are coming out and Kim has been busy feeding them for a jump start.


 We got the garden tilled, compost on and the Walla Walla onions are in the ground.  We amended the soil where our raspberries were but not producing and got some new varieties ( I am still feeling the thorns...) into the dirt. 
It feels good to get some of our list checked off.  We have so much to do in the backyard.  It is going to be great.





We had to do one fun thing this weekend so we rode the Lindon/ Murdock trail with our bikes.  It was a perfect day to ride with clouds making it cooler.  You can see Kim loading the bikes if you have good eyes and the trail above the parking lot.  We rode to Highland from PG ...about 11 miles round trip.  Not real far but after a day working in the garden, hauling off pruning, and dumping dirt, it was just enough to make us sleep real good last night. 
Thin Mint and Andes Mint Rice Crispy TreatsThe last thing I did was make these mint rice crispy treats for a missionary to be in our ward for Sunday.  She has been an amazing example to me as I have watched her grow and become a very beautiful person.  She talked more like a returned missionary than one that is just leaving and she is beyond her 19 years as far as understanding the gospel and how to live it.  Sometimes, I like to just watch these "children" as I did today in Primary and think who they are going to become.  It would be so cool if we could always remember their potential and forget their wiggles and wild ways.  She is a living example of one who overcame many obstacles and did something remarkable and continues to.  My cookies did not look as good but they have the potential to look awesome if I keep practicing but then I would eat them so I will quit while I can! 

2 comments:

Norma said...

Everything looks lovely, and your spring sort of like Ohio's April. Nice blog.

Tyler Christensen said...

The pergola looks good.