Sunday, March 2, 2014

Small and Simple Things

This kitchen light has not worked for many years and not so long ago, I asked Kim if he could fix it.  He took some time on a Saturday and fixed it.  I am so used to not using it, that I forget to turn it on when it is night and I am at the sink.  Last night, when I did turn it on, it just brightened up the area alot.  I thought about small and simple things.  It didn't take Kim that long to repair the frayed wires and it was so nice to be able to use it and I went so long without having that light that I really appreciated it when it was finally fixed.   I thought about what are the small, simple things in my life that I am not taking the time to do that could add up and make a big difference.  There are some that I just don't put in place because I am so easily distracted.  Staying on course would make a big difference!
This is a frozen whole wheat cinnamon roll  It even has some steel cut oats left over from breakfast in it.  It doesn't look nice and symmetrical like the ones you see on Pinterest.  I haven't made cinnamon rolls for ever so long.  The heavy wheat grinder/ bread mixer has been banished to the garage because it takes up so much counter space.  On Thurs. , a rainy day...I had asked Kim which he liked better for his packed breakfasts ( I pack breakfast and lunch most mornings so that he can get that coveted covered parking space by leaving early for work) coffee cake or muffins.   That afternoon, I was thinking how much Kim likes cinnamon rolls and opted for that healthy alternative.  He arrived home to the wonderful smell of bread and cinnamon.  One of my favorite memories of Bryce and Dallin when they were in school was the look on their faces when they would come home to hot cinnamon rolls.  Bryce would always let out a short yelp.  So  Kim was happy to see how in tune I was because his co-workers said to him that very day how much they would love some cinnamon rolls.  I scored big the next day when Kim delivered and I was relieved that I still knew how to make them!
Friday night, Dallin came home to work with his dad, installing a water squirt thing on your windshield so that his car would pass inspection.  They had a great bonding time.  It has been a year since Dallin has had his car.  McKay is still mourning the loss of his car and hasn't forgotten that Dallin owes him a car.  Since it will be a long time before McKay needs a car again, it will give Dallin plenty of time to save up!
Saturday was moving time.  We got up to Farmington early and started loading the UHaul for Layton.  It was a great work out and most of us were sweating even though it was cool outside.  Rain was predicted and we were very grateful that it waited to come until we were done moving.
 Brooke and Whit have a lot of work ahead of them unpacking everything and getting it in place, but they are so happy to be in their new home.
This is the new play room with Winston's room and bathroom across the hall.  It is above the garage.

This is the living room.  Lots of windows which you can't see but you can watch all the people jogging, walking their dogs, and biking on the trail behind their house.  Makes great dining conversation.


Someone called up Kim on Friday night and asked if he could come get a recommend signed.  Kim went and changed into his suit and while I sat downstairs, he interviewed a member of our stake.  It took about 1/2 hour which is pretty much Kim's speed...maybe a little longer since he had no other interviews.  My first thought was a little of irritation that people don't plan ahead but as I listened to how much Kim enjoyed the time and thought about the blessing it is for all of us to be patient and understanding with one another, I forgot about the inconvenience and  was glad that we were home so that Kim could have that opportunity.  Life is a lot like that...attitude determines if we enjoy and appreciate those little things.  They can be an irritation or a blessing.  We choose.  O, those little simple things!


1 comment:

McKay said...

Thanks for posting pictures of the new house! Looks like everyone is doing well. I miss me some cinnamon rolls!