Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Tale of Two Women

 The last of my summer onions...not kidding.  They lasted until February and were deliss.









We had a dinner for the High Council this week.  The best part was not the leftovers ...they were good though.  We all took a turn sharing highlights of our experiences in the Stake and it was very sweet to listen to accounts of lives touched and testimonies strengthened as they reviewed the Trek, Stake Conference, working with less actives, and seeing God's hand in our lives.  A sweet reminder of the importance of each person we serve and come to know.  We need to take time to stop and review those things that touch our life and reflect on how we are letting them make a difference in our day to day living.    


This past week we went to see Saving Mr. Banks and I read The Painted Veil by Somerset Maughn.
I have thought about the main character in the movie and the book and saw a lot of similarities.  Saving Mr. Banks was not at all what I expected.  The author of Mary Poppins, P. L. Travers did not have people skills.  She was demanding without giving back in return.  Kitty was also self centered in The Painted Veil.  Both had experiences that softened their hearts but as I dug deeper into the life of author Helen Goff, I was sorry to see the conclusion of "she loved no one and no one ever loved her".  They were speaking about her being a wife and mother ( she adopted a boy).  Her childhood was a pinnacle point of who she became and she never let go ( in the movie). 
I like the movie The Painted Veil much more than the book.  In the book, Kitty never really overcomes the focus on what she wants and cares about.  Even though neither ( Saving and Painted) has a happy ending,( except that Disney got to make the movie) it caused me to reflect on my life and ...what have I done with the time I have had?  A good  question to ask at the end of every day.
 My greatest joy and blessing has been to be a mother and a wife.  I have gotten distracted especially as a young mother.  I remember thinking...but what about what I want to do in life and why can't I do the things I want to do.  Why do my children have to demand so much attention.
 I made sure I kept the house clean, the children clean and where they needed to be, but I forgot a lot of times to step back and just watch who they ( my children and husband) were becoming and relax and enjoy the moment.  I focused on a lot of wrong things. In spite of all, my kids are now great adults. 
Saving Mr. Banks


I got a great email from Bryce's friend, James.  I posted it on tributetobryce.blogspot.com
It has been a great week.   Loved the Olympics--the stories of sacrifice and triumph!

No comments: