Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Father's Day, Birthday (the big 60) and Stake Conference is Over...Phew

Dallin delivered with the Candy Gram on Father's Day
I am afraid that Father's Day and my 60th birthday got trumped by Stake Conference.  It is always a bit stressful ( emphasize the stress) for Kim and so everything was preparing for Stake Conference and the thought: will everything come out the way it should. I had a lovely time visiting with Sister Cook as the men were in meetings and I wish I had been brave enough to ask for a picture of us together because she is 12 years older than me and looked fantastic.  She gave me great insight into the life of an apostle and I have a much better appreciation for the sacrifice they make for the church.  Elder Holland was in Wisconsin for Tyler's Stake Conference and he said that Elder Holland couldn't remember when he had been home for Father's Day.  That actually makes me quite sad but then I look at Kim and think...the blessings far out weigh anything thing you think you may be giving up.
Best part of the surprise decorations was the pops on the porch mat!

Each year my dear friends try their hand at creative ways to decorate someone's house for their birthdays.  I am modeling some of the great gifts left.  I don't know why I was surprised to see balloons, pink flamingos and obstruction to my front door when I went outside in the morning.  I have been blessed by their friendship for many years and grateful that they include me in their absurd ideas.  We have stepped aerobics, kick boxed, tapped, water aerobics, biked and now zumbaed our lives together and they have blessed my life in uncountable ways.
Donna continues to shower us with gifts from Mozambique.  We are modeling scarves that she gave me and my daughters.  I wore it to the temple today!  Mine has zebras.  This is her daughter and grand daughter Tillly...so cute.








Brooke put together a book of things our kids have learned from us.  It is great to look at all our kids and remember and reflect.  They have taught us far more than we could have ever taught them!

Whit was nice enough to cook dinner on Father's Day!    The salad had fennel...the latest cool thing to put in stuff.  I have yet to use it but I know what it is from watching all the cooking shows while taking care of Winston when he was a baby.  Maybe it's not the cool thing now ...he is the big kid in the family now. 
Notice the shrimp cocktail...Whit put some kick in the sauce! Wow--ee. 

Winston was too cute as he sat there bored in his high chair.  It is the only place we don't have to chase him in. 
Brooke was the main clean up ......
We spent the afternoon looking at old slides of the family....actually I missed most of that because I took Edie for a walk but what I saw brought back lots of great memories.  Great hairdos, big glasses , classic over-sized t-shirts and tight shorts.   
while these guys took Father's Day seriously.
I miss those days but I feel like I get to relive them a little as the grand children come and visit.  I am reminded how much time children take and think about...how did I do that? 


















Dallin played the piano while Kira and I sang.  That is always a favorite memory of Sundays for me and I like hearing Dallin play because I feel like I am getting my money's worth from all the piano lessons the kids had when they were younger. 

Dallin is trying out the chair Kira got for Kim
Happy  ending to a happy day!  This is a big move for Dallin to express his love for his Dad. Touchy feel-y stuff.       





No comments: